Friday, February 15, 2008

Movement

The last few weeks have been very interesting to say the least. I havent had internet at my new digs so an update has been hard to come by. For those of you who are now lost let me fill you in...I have been traded to the Bakersfield Jam which is of coarse located in the great city of Bakersfield, Ca. The trade was finalized on January 25 and the next day I was on a plane and out of Iowa. The last few games in Iowa had been a trial for me because I had played next to no minutes and the outside temperature had reach way down to -20. Needless to say an Arizona/California boy like myself was having some trouble adapting to that kind of cold. Your whole body just hurst all the time and I could never really seem to get warm. On top of it all not playing was a big bummer so I am outta there.
The new team actually was out looking for me. They had wanted to trade for me for a few weeks but our wonderful Iowa coach wouldnt answer his phone. (He can get pretty busy trying to figure out what he wanted to do) So I was wanted elsewhere and now I have a great opportunity to show my stuff. Well out here in the wonderful California world we have played 7 games and havent had a great showing but I have been playing over 30 minutes a game and really contributing to the new team. The new Coach Scott Roth was an Ex-NBA scout/coach which gives me the opportunity to work under a guy who has been to the top and has experience to share with me. It is great to have a coach who knows the game. He has already made a contribution to my game and I have increased my stats in all categories especially rebounding, this has always been a work in progress for me (thx Dusty). Man its great to be back in Cali!!!
On the personal front Jessica has been working her little butt off 6 days a week in her big corporate job. She is on her way to the top!! But it takes alot of hard work which we all know is no problem for miss Jess. Dad has been working more back in Detroit but seems to love it. He has access to the jet, big time baller status!! Jaker has been tearing it up at ASU playing club Volleyball and doing that whole school thing. Also he has continued to coach which I think may be a calling. They seem to like him at good old Xavier and I heard he does a good job and is well liked by his players (that couldnt be because he is tall and handsome could it??). Well whatever he is the man there. Mom is mom kicking ass. She does yoga like 3 times a day, hikes the mountain every morning, and still has time to put up with pops. She is doing so well... cancer what aint no thing!!! Well keep checking for updates

2 comments:

Dustin Lane said...

Bakersfield...

Didn't the Taft football team beat Bakersfield in the movie "The Best Of Times"...Robin Williams/Kurt Russell.
Good Movie.
There is a great line in that flick along the lines of..."And that son of a bitch dropped it. I was that son of a bitch." It's at the very beginning of the movie...
I dig that film...I am gonna have to buy that DVD now.
Thanks Nick.

OK

Back on track here...

I/We are digging your numbers now. Finally. These are the #'s you should be and allows will/should put up. 15 & 9/10. Thats your game. And its a good game. Plenty of NBA teams need that. Off the top of my head I can think of 23 teams that need that (Phoenix needs to add somebody right now. They are under the minimum number of players that they need...have your agent make some calls - STAT...you do know where Phoenix is, right? Its in the south...right by the Sun)

So...

16 rebounds the other nite. Man I wish I was there for that. Very good young man. The other team must have been pissed. Tall white man out rebounds them. Very good indeed. (and by the way...fans for the opposition are calling you Opie...as in Opie Taylor (Ron Howard, Mayberry, Andy Griffith, Aunt Bea - A little before your time) which is good...they are noticing you...and you are pissing them off...which, by the way, is good).

What I would like to see more of is hustle. I know your a big fella and you get winded (remember my post about running in the AM...go back and read that). I still think you need to get down the court faster and into position quicker. Don't let that ball inside (if your playing center), and when it does come throw a body on the guy...get there before he does...take the charge...don't let that son of a bitch inside...make em shoot jumpers. Jumpers are tough for most big fellas (Shaq?).

And another thing...

Start using your 5 fouls more wisely...make them know that you are there. None of this touch foul bullshit. Throw down some hockey style evil hard foul like fouls (Ice Hockey, not field hockey). Let em know that you mean business...its fun to let them know you mean business (watch Wall Street for more info on this - Gordan Gecco baby). And when you do that...well, business will be good. No flagrents though...thats kinda candy ass...just good, hard, clean fouls (like when your little brother would try to steal your ice cream cone or your June 1996 issue of Playboy...you smacked him in the head right?...good, hard, clean).

OK

Thats all I got. I am sick and I have no brain at the moment (I am using a disposable one to complete this post...it came with a giant 1 gallon bottle of Nyquil (Costco)...I like Nyquil).

OK

See you soon in LA.

Later

Dustin.

Dustin Lane said...

Feb 23 - 25 points 10 rebounds
Feb 24 - 17 points 9 rebounds

I am digging it. 25 and 10. Hell yes. Keep playing hard brother...the NBA is up ahead (hopefully you wont have to play with that loser and pathetic excuse for a human being Shaq).

And as far as losing goes...so what. Its the Bakersfield Jam. Their supposed to lose. Kinda like The Cubs...and The Clippers...and Rodney Dangerfield.

What this time in your Basketball life is all about is getter better, learning as much as you can about the game and getting to the next level...which is the NBA.

(Keep in mind that you have passed every other challenge up to this point...High School - College (under a completely useless shit excuse for a coach no less) - Europe - Iowa (lotta corn there) and now the NBA D-League Bakersfield Jam (home of the Oil Drillers milkshake?). You were on the D-Fenders too but that is just a stupid name for a ball club (the D-Fenders, what the hell is that?)...your only one step away. So keep working (wind sprints, rebounding, free throws!!!, boxing out, hustle)...its gonna happen)

OK?

Later

D